Friday, July 25, 2008

Last Trip to Yankee Stadium


This week Bill, Mary, Jimmy, and I went to Yankee Stadium for the last time. It was a very bittersweet trip for me. I have a lot of memories in that old stadium and I'm not ready for it to be torn down. When me and J were kids, we went to Yankees games with our parents and Aunt Ricki and Uncle Pat. My Uncle Pat was the lone Red Sox fan in a family full of Yankees fans so we had a lot of fun teasing him. I remember being in awe of the stadium. I thought it was the greatest place on earth. Until I met Bill, Yankee Stadium was the only stadium I had ever been to. Nineteen stadiums later, Yankee Stadium is still my favorite. It may not have the bells and whistles that the newer stadiums have, but it has a history that most other franchises can't compete with. Every time I tell Bill that I don't want to stadium to close, Bill reminds me that Yankee stadium hasn't been the original stadium since they renovated it in the 70s. That is true, but the stadium they are tearing down is my Yankee Stadium. It is the stadium where I saw my first live ballgame, the stadium where me and my family have fun memories, and the stadium where Bill and I sat in the dugout as part of the tour. There are too many memories of that stadium for me to list here. The new stadium looks beautiful and I hope to make new memories there, but for me it will never be the same.

2 comments:

Bill said...

You will like the new stadium too- baseball is all about memories, and we will make new ones there too.

Ian O'hEnas said...

D'oh! My comments didn't stick!

I'm glad youz-two were able to go another time before the wrecking ball comes thru. I know what video to get Bill for X-Mas! He He - I know they're keeping part of it, etc...