Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gas Prices

Ok. I know I'm probably sounding the alarm over something that everyone else has been panicing about for a while now but has anyone noticed that the price of gas is closer to $4.00/gallon than to $3.00/gallon? I haven't had to fill my gastank in over a month. Bill and I take turns driving our new car and our piece of shit focus and we always fill the tank before we switch cars. Because my commute is fairly short (especially compared to Bill's), I haven't had to put more than a 1/2 tank of gas in the car in over a month. Since I haven't had to fill the tank, I haven't really been paying attention to gas prices. In the month I haven't been paying attention, gas prices went up more than 20 cents a gallon. This week I went to King of Prussia and Wilmington so I actually had to fill up. I almost wet my self when I pulled into the station and saw that gas was $3.57/gallon for regular! It cost $40 to fill up our tiny, fuel efficient Focus! I can't wait till I graduate and can afford to get a Hybrid but in the mean time, what do we do about these gas prices???? If I could take public transit, I would but that isn't really an option where we live. There is no way the gas companies aren't making a profit. How are they getting away with this???

4 comments:

Ian O'hEnas said...

And they're going to raise it again - this time because a processing facility in Northern Scotland is shutting down due to a strike. What does this have to do with us? - NOTHING. So why will it change the price of our gas - because they can use ANY excuse to do so...

It sucks arse. Don't worry - it should drop again if the dems get into office!!!

Take a look into Sosol, Inc. out of South Africa. They can easily convert coal and natural gas to gasoline. Only hitch - costs a bit more, but is much cleaner...

Ian O'hEnas said...

Republicans and Bush in particular is how they get away with it...

Profits??? Why would congress look into profits like they did. I give you one example:

ExxonMobil =
2007 PROFITS = $404.5 BILLION (Billion with "B" as that idiot Reagon would say)

Figure as of April 2008 - It is the world's largest corporation by market capitolization. - Worth a mere $502 Billion...

Bill said...

I have that heart attack 3 times a week- spending $120/week on gas- 55% of my GROSS income goes to gas now. Thanks, Bush.

The Old Guy said...

I like how Senators Clinton and McCain are calling for a break in the gas tax, which pays for road improvements and infrastructure ( I think there are some citizens in Minnesota who might think this is a bad idea). Temporarily suspending this tax will save the consumer about 18cents a gallon or $4.00 everytime you fill up your car. This would have about as much impact on the economy as sending everybody $600 checks. None whatsoever.